Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Flashcard overdose........

Is what I'm experiencing right now.  I spent like 2 hours making flash cards for all these tenses in spanish.  How I long for the days of the simple present tense.  Then for the 3rd time in my life, Preterito Indefinido came in and snatched the sunshine of my life.  Oh well, it's ok, there are just so many irregulars I'm trying to keep on top of.  Doesn't help that a 3rd tense was dropped on us today.  Fortunately, the conjugation pattern in this tense is the same across the board with only 3 irregulars.  THANK GOD! :)  

Right now, it's a little do or die.  I take my first exam on friday, and the way that exams work is every two weeks you take one.  If you pass with 75% or higher, you move on to the next difficulty level of spanish.  I REALLY don't want to be held behind and learn the same stuff for 2 weeks.  Yikes.  So I'm working on my tenses, I need to study the different instance you use "por" or "para." They are both words that essentially mean "for." The context of the sentence depends on which one you use.  I think there's around 12 instances total(?)  I need to jump on those tomorrow as well.  I also have to know the difference between "ser" and "estar" Yikes for a lot of knowledge.  I think I'm going to be able to handle it though.  Yay for positive thinking.  :)

Let's see, what else is going on?  Turns out the salad thing may have been a Rosario thing.  I had 2 friends order salads today and lo and behold, they actually looked like salads!  There is hope for me!  I'm feeling much better.  Still not 100% better, but I'm closing in on 85%ish.  Just got to get this last little bit of inflammation out of my chest.  I've been pounding water like a fish and eating fruits and veggies.  Now all I have to do is stop being a narcoleptic patient and get some sleep.  

Hmm.....What else?  Oh yeah.  I was asked out to lunch by this guy from Holland.  We've chatted a few times and he sat at my table at a tango show I went to.  I want to think of it in a quasi hopeful romantic sense, but I'm being cautiously realistic about it.  Apparently in Europe, it's not unheard of for a straight guy to ask..................someone like me to lunch.  As it stands, he's a nice guy, funny, and a little kooky, but in a good way.  :)  My friend August was so adorable when he found out.  He was actually worried that I was going to start spending all of my time with this Dutch guy and never hang out with him (August) anymore.  Which I had to assure him that 1.  It was only lunch,   2. We haven't established that Dutchman is interested in me yet and 3. It's possible that even if he IS interested in me, we might not have that romantic click if/when we have lunch.  So I told August to relax, but he was too busy planning out my getting married to Dutchman, my move to Holland and all the kids we're going to adopt.  Lol, it would be nice to have some sort of connection out here, but it's not really an issue I am pushing.  I will take the situation as it comes and try not to overanalyze like I typically would do.  Besides, I shouldn't be getting distractions from my spanish studies, right?.........................



Random fact of the day
I haven't seen ANY two way streets here in Buenos Aires.  I don't want to say "All" in the event that I'm wrong, but "almost all" (better?) streets here are one way.  It makes Jaywalking MUCH easier, but I still manage to almost get hit every once in a while (which is tragic since it has only been 9 days out.  :)  



Person back home of the day....


Dominique Stingley...
High School/College friend/Former Roommate.

Lol, as outlined in the first Person back home of the day, I am thinking of many of the people I love and know back in Vegas.  Today like many others, I was reminded of the insanity of high school spanish with my teacher Senora Colmena.  Where I met Miss Dominique.  I laugh recalling because much like in High School and the year and half we spent living together, if Dominique were here, Neither one of us would learn a lick of spanish because we would be talking in english and laughing our butts off the entire time.  Here's to random quotes, Daria episodes, and tranny ice-cream!

Until next time!

xoxo
   


No comments: