Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Thought track- T-minus 11 days

Well, the tickets are booked, I am officially leaving Las Vegas for Buenos Aires, Argentina on the 4th of October.  When I say it's a funky mix of emotions, I may as well be my own personal DJ.  Excited, Anxious, Terrified, Thrilled, Nervous, (the list goes on) are only the tip of the iceberg of things going through my head.   

I usually pride myself at being an individual who always tries to march to the beat of his own drum.  That being said, my drum is going from a light tapping similar to that used to keep a simple steady beat, to a rocking-out drum solo on a full drum set.  Life for me has always revolved around vegas and has always been sort of determined for me (School/College).  Now I have to make decisions that are going to significantly impact the rest of my life.  Probably not a big deal for many, but just short of terrifying for me.  You would think a sensible person in need of a little change would get there hair done or try bungee jumping like a normal civilized person.  A person on pure air in need of a change of scenery would just leave the city, possibly the state when they want some new surroundings.  But no, I happen to have a brother who went to Chili for 7 months and then did the Euro tour of 15 countries 6 months later, another brother who has played professional basketball in 5 countries, and parents who pretty much travel because they can.  Needless to say, I'm feeling a little behind everyone.   And being the competitive being that I am, I need to have my own international trek of my own.  :)  I know you're probably thinking that I'm doing this for all the reasons.  To be honest, there are periods where I almost feel like I'm marching to the beat of someone else's drum.  But I keep looking at it and saying that I know I am genuinely wanting to do this trip.  :)

I am looking at this experience as a chance to grow as a person.  Gain some insight.  See life and experience a culture that I am unfamiliar with.  Be thrown out of my comfort zone and see how I do.  I also want to challenge myself to become fluent in a language that I should have learned years ago.  I wonder how things will work out.  I wonder if I'll be able to hack the minimum of 3 months I will be gone or if I will never want to come back after 3 months.  I wonder if the craziness, spontaneity, and overall Alex-ness will translate into Spanish.   Hopefully, the answers to all these questions will be revealed soon enough.  We'll have to wait to see.  

:)

1 comment:

Rowynn said...

Don't EVER Leave Me!

--- so close!

I love you!!!